The mission of Long Island Bulldog Rescue (LIBR) is to provide education, prevention, intervention, and adoption services to ensure that all English Bulldogs enjoy long, healthy lives in loving, safe, appropriate homes where they are provided the life-long care they require. We commit to each English Bulldog and adopter(s) we serve for the life of the dog. In the event that an adoption is unsuccessful, the dog is to be returned to the LIBR.
We fulfill our mission by providing:
- Humane education for school-age youth, so children learn the principle, practices and procedures involved in adding to the family by buying or adopting an English Bulldog
- Breed-specific best practices education the general public can use to understand the characteristics of English Bulldogs and make informed decisions about purchasing, adopting, or releasing a puppy or dog for adoption.
- Breed-specific education to prevent tragic outcomes of the vicious cycle of irresponsible breeding, sale and purchase of puppies and dogs, leading to neglect, abandonment, abuse, and death of English Bulldogs.
- The spectrum of services involved in rescuing English Bulldogs, including but not limited to:
- a) Networking with national and regional breed rescues, as well as shelters, advocacy organizations, and English Bulldog Clubs;
- b) Conducting intake services to process and receive English Bulldogs that have been abused, abandoned at shelters, or released for adoption by owners who are unable to keep them;
- c) Screening all prospective adopters to create an optimal match between prospective adopters and dogs available for adoption.
- d) Offering transitional guidance and support for owners forced to release dogs for adoption due to family crisis;
- e) Offering transitional support to families receiving English Bulldogs that have been abused, neglected, abandoned, or released for adoption;
- f) Collaborating with veterinarians and other medical practitioners to provide screening, spay, neuter, vaccinate, and other medical attention, such as surgery and medication;
- g) Homing special needs English Bulldog puppies and dogs;
- h) Providing foster care for English Bulldogs seeking permanent homes;
- Raising funds to support the above activities.